For more detailed information visit
Between 2015 and 2019, the SBIR Road Tour visited every state and Puerto Rico - mostly traveling by bus between stops. These stops brought together local innovation ecosystems around the country with agency decision makers, and connected entrepreneurs to additional resources to help their small businesses start and grow. For 2021, National SBIR Week brings Federal agencies to the whole country at once through virtual programming.
2021 National SBIR Week
From July 19 – July 23, 2021, National SBIR Week will connect entrepreneurs working on advanced technologies to the country’s largest source of early stage funding – the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. Also known as America’s Seed Fund, the SBIR/STTR programs provide over $4 billion in funding to small businesses each year in a wide variety of technology areas.
Program managers from the participating federal agencies will conduct one-on-one meetings with small businesses and share insights into how agencies make funding decisions for over 7,000 non-dilutive awards each year.
On Wednesday July 21, in collaboration with the Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) and the Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer (FLC), SBA is participating in the Technology Transfer and Small Business Innovation Research InVision Tour event. The InVision Tour focuses on empowering minority innovators and entrepreneurs to transform ideas into business success through access to federal research and development resources, funding, and technology transfer programs.
Prepare for Your One-on-One Meetings
During National SBIR Week, attendees will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with Federal agency decision-makers to gain an in-depth understanding of the available programs, funding, and support for prospective applicants. Below are resources that provide SBIR/STTR background and aid prospective small businesses and innovators to prepare for one-on-one meetings:
Is SBIR/STTR right for you? Get an overview
- Watch SBA’s Overview of the SBIR/STTR Programs.
- Online SBIR Tutorials guide prospective applicants step-by-step to ensure that parties of all skill levels and development phases can learn the bases within the application process for federal funding.
Check out highlights from the Fall 2020 Virtual Regional SBIR Weeks
- Getting started with SBIR (Dept of Health and Human Services – National Institutes of Health, Dept of Defense - US Air Force, Dept of Education)
- Inside the Head of an Evaluator (National Science Foundation, Dept of Homeland Security, Dept of Energy)
- Success in Phase I - Moving to Phase II and Beyond (Dept of Health and Human Services – National Institutes of Health, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Dept of Defense - US Navy)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC)
What agencies fund the work I do? Figure out which agencies fund technology areas most relevant for you:
Develop your pitch and prepare for your one-on-one meeting
2020 SBIR Week Highlights
Amid travel and event challenges, the decision was made to go virtual for the 2020 events. Rebranded as Regional SBIR Weeks, these events were virtual, collaborative outreach efforts hosted by local organizations with support from the SBA and participating Federal agencies. View highlights from the 2020 Virtual Regional SBIR Weeks.
You can also find recordings and presentations from each of the events that connected entrepreneurs with localized resources and information: